Sights in Velkua
Velkua became a part of Naantali on 1st of January 2009.
In addition to the church of St. Henrik from 1793, an exhibition and a monument for the 1808 Palva sea battle between the Swedes and the Russians are situated on the island of Palva.
On the island of Salavainen you can get acquainted with the old buildings of the Haukka farm, such as a windmill, a storehouse and a smoke sauna, full of traditional objects.
In the summer of 2007, the Teersalo shore underwent a complete transformation when the former wasteland was restored as a common recreation area for both the permanent and summer residents and as a ”visiting card”for the municipality. Also the nearby archipelago garden is worth visiting.
The St. Henrik's Church
Some fast turns of events can be found in the history of the Velkua St. Henrik Church, built in 1793 on the island of Palva. Russian soldiers sacked the entire contents of the church during the Palva naval battle in 1808; only the altarpiece was saved. An old naval cannon was saved in memory of the event, and a monument was built of its remains near the church.
The Velkua St. Henrik Church, now belonging to the parish of Naantali, is a popular sight where concerts of Velkua Soi and Naantali Music Festival are arranged in addition to divine services and other religious events.
The summer brings a welcome change to the parish life of small Velkua.
The Palva Sea Battle Exhibition
The Palva sea battle was fought during the Finnish War, on the 18th of September in 1808 between Swedish and Russian troops.
The battle off the Palva Island ended in a Russian victory, and afterward the troops looted and raged around the present Velkua area.
A monument made of a cannon bore situated next to the St. Henrik's church is a reminder of the battle.
Teersalo Seaside Park
In the summer of 2007, the Teersalo shore underwent a complete transformation when the former wasteland was restored as a common recreation area for both the permanent and summer residents and as a "visiting card" for the municipality.
The project was realized with ecological and collaborative principles in cooperation between a groupof artists, a gardener and an engineer and the steering group consisting of residents and financers. The project is continuation of the previous "arsÖ" art event.
The artists' touch can be seen in the general look of the shore area and in the elaborate choices of materials and colours. Apart from the aesthetics, attention was also paid to ecological values and ease of management, which is important to a small municipality.
A specially created sea blue tone was used in the tiles of the square, surrounded by birch trees. The equipment in the children's play area is made of the Durat recycled plastic, made in Rymättylä, and stones and pieces of timber were used as seats. The residents' wishes were followed as the road line was changed and the market area was equipped with electricity.
The stone and gravel garden represents natural garden design. The composition of the stones and plants reflects the seashore through an artist's eyes. The plants were chosen by a gardener, using natural species and native breeds, which have lived and still live in synergy with man. There are no typical flower beds, but the plants are placed as islets where they can freely spread and form plant communities.
In addition to people, also other small users of the park – birds and insects – were taken into account in the design. As an example, chives are the only known food plant of Hydraecia nordstroemi. In the plant selection there are for example ballast plants, native plants and plants that have naturalized in Finland in prehistoric or mediaeval times.
Also notice the small archipelago garden on the shore of the community service centre Kummeli nearby.
The renovation was realized by:
General design of the area and Durat products: Minna Maija Lappalainen, artist and Tiina Vainio, artist
Planted areas: Hannu Säilä, gardener, artist
Construction engineering: Juha Juhola, engineer
Implementation: Hannu Säilä and Elisa Laine / Perniön Taimisto planning team
Financing: arsÖ, The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), The Municipality of Velkua
Work group: Jukka Juhola, construction engineer, Minna Maija Lappalainen, artist, Hannu Säilä, gardener, artist, Tiina Vainio, artist, lawyer