Naantali Church was originally built to serve the Catholic Brigettine Convent, situated on a hill. Permission to build the convent was given on the 23rd of August 1443. This is considered to be the founding date of both the convent and the town of Naantali. Bishop Konrad Bitz consecrated the convent buildings in 1462.
Nowadays the Naantali Church is the only building that remains of the convent. The most recent renovation of the church took place in 2011- 2012, led by architect Virpi Tervonen. The lighting, interior windows, altar and some of the church textiles were repaired. The walls and vaults were cleaned, the vaults were whitewashed and old items were preserved.
Naantali Church is open as a Road Church during the summer.
Opening hours in summer 2013:
1–31 May daily 12 noon–6pm
1 Jun – 31 Aug daily 10am-6pm
During Naantali Music Festival (4-15 Jun 2013) it is not possible to visit the church.
Services are held at 10am on Sundays all year round.
Also guided tours for groups can be arranged.
tel. +358 2 437 5411
Guided tours for groups:
Naantali Tourist Information
tel. +358 2 435 9800