Sights in Masku
In the courtyard of the museum there are two outbuildings from the mid 19th century. These buildingswere renovated in the beginning of the 1990's and they are used as exhibition and storage rooms for the museum.
The Masku museum was founded in 1974. It is situated in the village of Humikkala by Maskuntie road (the so called old Raumantie road) about 300 m southeast of Masku church.
The museum building dates back to the 1840's and it has gone through several changes during the years. Originally, the building was a traditional two room cottage with a saddle roof and enclosed porch. Later on, an extra wing was added and its exterior was changed to neoclassical style with a hipped roof. In the 20th century, one of the main rooms and the enclosed porch were demolished and the entrance was moved to the wing. Among other things the building has served as an inn.
For decades the building served the authorities as well as individual travellers as an inn. However, in the beginning of 20th century the guests were mainly lodged in Nivola. The road leading to Turku was busy, and as automobiles became more common, the inn closed in Humikkala in the 1920's.
The museum collection contains around 1600 pieces consisting mainly of peasant objects. In addition, the museum houses a book and newspaper collection of more than 450 exemplars.
There are separate exhibition rooms in the museum where art exhibitions are held in summer.
Maskuntie 98, 21250 Masku
tel. +358 2 4388 260
The Masku Rosarium was founded in spring 1998 by the Masku-Seura association.
For more information contact: Raija-Leena Äähälä, tel. +358 2 432 9683 or
+358 400 629 675.